Thursday, March 05, 2009

British museum and He Weimin


At the British Museum this week looking at a small exhibition Between Tibet and Assam: cultural diversity in the eastern Himalaya In room 91. There were photographs and ritual items, clothing and paintings from two different peoples, the Apatani and Monpas. Unfortunately a recording of part of a festival mentioned on the website was not there. There was a copy of the book of photographs collected from mid twentieth century academics and a contemporary photographer, Michael Aram to browse.


Walking down the road to Tottenham court road I noticed the Arthur Probsthain bookshop. I hadn't been in there before and so was pleased to find a collection of Oriental and African books, the bookshop is part of SOAS. There was a creative air in the shop, with a selection of cards and prints for sale and an exhibition space at the back of the shop. The wood block artist He Weimin had a show in there. I am always impressed by wood block prints, I haven't made any myself yet. I particularly liked the densely worked prints that He Weimin had done.

No comments:

Post a Comment