Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Artists Car Boot Sale

Just over a week ago was the artists car boot sale at the Old Truman Brewery in Brick Lane East London.I took a walk down Brick lane, from the Bethnal Green end, I hadn't been down there for a while and the area was heaving with people. I had't realised how popular the place had become.

The market space had extended to include people setting up "shop" on the pavements all the way up to Bethnal Green road. A few CDs, books or clothes usually made up the stock, with the odd broken bike or bits of electrical gear

Down Brick Lane there are plenty of designer/maker shops and the famous 24 hour bagel shop that I had to stop at on the way down, recommended.I had my digital and SLR cameras, still some what challanged by the fact that the only instruction book I can find for the digital camera is in French!

I and some of my friends have been thinking of an artists car boot for a while, but more like clearing out our studios, selling pictures, frames, materials ect that we're not using anymore, At this car boot it was more a case of artists selling cheaper multiples and having some fun.

In Gavin Turks case it was Rich Tea biscuits in perspex boxes, I could,nt quite bring myself to spend £25 on one. I wonder if there are any for sale on e-bay yet? I did actually like a lot of the stuff though. the glitter domes made in all kinds of bottles and glass containers, with plastic figures like a farmer and cows by Richard Glegg. If I'd had the money I would have bought one of those.


I don't know his name, but I liked the wit and inventiveness of one guy with his boot filled with oranges. They were 50p each with a free photograph( of an orange artfully arranged in a variety of settings. I went for two of those, very tasty oranges, and presented in an orange plastic bag.When Ruth gets back from France I'll get the first pictures up.
As I somehow managed to turn the audio feature of the digital camera on at some point and could't seem to turn it off,! most of the photos will be the old fashioned ones at a slightly later date.
I did however buy a mug, the one with the skull design from Sarah Lucas and Oliver Garbay, signed by them both, they seemed to be doing a roaring trade, there was a lot of the skull type imagery around as well as swear words on badges and goth type images.
It was very hot so I resisted the invitation to squeeze into a saloon car for a performance, but the people inside looked like they were having fun.

I liked a lot of the ideas there and the wit, and I came away with ideas, I was'nt sure what the car with all the black boxes was about, I didn't stop to find out, lets have more artists car boot sales anyone else up for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment